Down N Dirty Freight Car Weathering Contest 2 (DDWC2)
Brought to You by Ron’s Trains N Things
Sponsored by Midwest Model Railroad
In Cooperation with IMRROcom and JC’s Riptrack
January 1, 2019-March 3, 2019
Grand prize: $100 gift certificate to midwestmodelrr.com and choice of 1 item from the RTNT teespring.com Company Store.
Runner up: $50 gift certificate to midwestmodelrr.com and choice of 1 item from the RTNT teespring.com Company Store.
People’s choice: $50 gift certificate to midwestmedelrr.com and choice of 1 item from the RTNT teespring.com Company Store.
This contest is intended to showcase the weathering skills of contestants as employed on freight cars. To accomplish this purpose, please adhere to the following rules.
- You must have a YouTube channel to enter. If you have a Google account, you have a YouTube channel.
- It is strongly suggested that contestants subscribe to the channels of those involved in bringing you the contest: Ron’s Trains N Things, MidwestModelRR, IMRROcom, and JC’s Riptrack. It is further suggested that contestants subscribe to one another’s channels.
- Judging will be based on a combination of your finished product (60%), your ability to demonstrate and explain how you produced it (25%), and quality of your video (15%).
- Rules, required thumbnail, judging sheets, and other information for this contest will be available at the following locations:
DDWC Facebook page: www.facebook.com/groups/downanddirtycontest
Midwest Model Railroad: www.midwestmodelrr.com/ddwc2.
- You must enter one (1) freight car in the contest. It may be any type of freight car in any scale and any era.
- The car must be in new condition and must remain in stock condition without modifications to the car body or details. Exceptions will be made for replacement trucks, couplers, and/or wheelsets. These modifications or absence thereof will not be considered in judging. (Adding or replacing other details on a car might give an unfair advantage in what is intended to be a showcase of weathering skills.)
- Cars may be re-lettered, re-numbered, and/or patched out.
- You may use any weathering methods or products you choose.
- You may use decals and graffiti if you choose.
- Car weathering and videos must be NEW and made for this contest. No previously made videos or previously weathered cars will be considered. Previously made videos or previously weathered cars will be disqualified.
- Your video entry must include the provided thumbnail. The thumbnail will be available at the contest’s Facebook page and the Rules page at midwestmodelrr.com/DDWC2.
- Your video entry must have a title that begins with, “Down N Dirty Weathering Contest 2.” You may add more to the title following this if you choose.
- Thumbnails and titles must remain unchanged until judging in the contest is complete and winners have been announced (April 3, 2019).
- Each entry will consist of 1 video 10-20 minutes in length. In that video you must show the new car you plan to weather. (An unboxing is a great way to do this if you purchase new cars for the contest, but is not required.) Tell a little about the car (type, road, features, upgrades to trucks, couplers, and/or wheelsets, etc.). Briefly show us any prototype reference photos you may use. Show us how you weather your car. Describe the products and processes you use. This should be a brief demonstration. It is neither necessary nor desired for you to show every minute of your work. Show the final product of the model from a variety of angles. Give us some up close shots of all sides in good focus and lighting, so we can really see the weathering effects. In addition, a shot or two of the cars running on a layout would be a great bonus but is not required. (You are not required to have a layout to enter this contest.)
- NOTE: Videos that are less than 10 minutes or more than 20 minutes will be penalized (see judging sheet). Videos that are less than 9:00 or more than 21:00 will be disqualified.
- Please make the best quality videos you can. Video quality will be a part of the judging (see judging sheet).
- All videos will be added to playlists on Ron’s Trains N Things, IMRROcom, MidwestModelRR, and JC’s Riptrack as they are submitted.
- Video entries should include either an end screen or a card link to the Down N Dirty Contest 2 playlist on Ron’s Trains N Things so viewers can see all the entries.
- The following text must be included in the description of your video entry:
Down N Dirty Weathering Contest 2
Hosted by Ron’s Trains N Things: https://www.youtube.com/c/ronstrainsnthings
Sponsored by Midwest Model Railroad: https://www.midwestmodelrr.com
In cooperation with IMRROcom: https://www.youtube.com/user/IMRROcom
And JC’s Riptrack: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxZ-gUY4C5SKwxEqlOHcL7Q
See all the video entries in the DDWC2 at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL05wIKjXooC1e_5jLVGxkNUPzA7XjvC_z
For official rules and other information visit www.facebook.com/groups/downanddirtycontest or at www.midwestmodelrr.com.
Address all other inquiries to email@example.com
Other links and information may also be added to your video descriptions.
- All videos must be uploaded and entered per the rules no later than 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time on Sunday, March 3, 2019. Judging will take place March 4-17, 2019. All judging forms should be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time on Sunday, March 17, 2019. Videos uploaded before January 1, 2019 or after March 3, 2019 will not be considered.
- You must also provide two still photos, one of each side of your weathered car, for use on the people’s choice voting page. Email those photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- By entering this contest you also agree to watch all videos of all other contestants and fill out judging sheets on all other contestants. (Contestants will not judge their own work.) All judging sheets must be submitted privately via email to email@example.com no later than 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time on March 17, 2019.
- NOTE: Vote trading and collusion of any kind between contestants will not be tolerated. Contestants should use the judging sheet guidelines to honestly evaluate the work of all other contestants without skewing the judging to the advantage a particular contestant. Any contestant caught trading votes, skewing their results, or cheating in any other way will be disqualified and their judging sheets for other contestants will be thrown out.
- There will be three awards. A grand prize winner and a runner-up will be decided solely by the secretly submitted judging forms of the contestants plus forms submitted by Ron of Ron’s Trains N Things, Eric of IMRROcom, Stephen of Midwest Model Railroad, and John of JC’s Riptrack. Ron’s, Eric’s, Stephen’s, and John’s judging will each count equal to that of one contestant. The highest total score accumulated from contestant forms plus Ron’s, Eric’s, Stephen’s, and John’s forms will be the grand prize winner. The second highest total score will be the runner-up. The grand prize and runner-up scores will be announced. All other scores will be shared via email with the contestant but will not be announced publicly.
- A people’s choice prize will also be awarded. This prize will be given to the contestant receiving the highest number of votes from open poll voting. Those voting in the open poll are encouraged to view the video entries from every contestant as a basis upon which to vote. Voting for the people’s choice award will be hosted by midwestmodelrr.com and will end at 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time on March 17, 2018. Only one prize will be awarded per contestant. The grand prize winner and runner up will be included in the people’s choice voting but will be disqualified from winning that prize. The prize will go to the highest vote recipient not including the grand prize winner and runner up.
- In the unlikely event of a tie score in judging, Ron, Eric, Stephen, and John will each submit an additional judging sheet for ONLY those involved in the tie to break the tie. In the event of a tie in the people's choice voting, the same four will each vote among those involved in the tie to break the tie.
- Awards will be as follows:
Grand prize, $100 gift certificate to midwestmodelrr.com plus choice of 1 item from the RTNT teespring.com Company Store.
Runner up, $50 gift certificate to midwestmodelrr.com plus choice of 1 item from the RTNT teespring.com Company Store.
People’s choice, $50 gift certificate to midwestmodelrr.com plus choice of 1 item from the RTNT teespring.com Company Store.
- Awards will be announced via video on Ron’s Trains N Things on Wednesday, April 3, 2019.
- To enter, submit an email with “DDWC2” in the subject line. State your name, the name of your YouTube channel, and your intent to enter. Send that email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive an official copy of the rules, the judging sheet, and the official, required thumbnail for your video. Your entry will be made official upon completion and upload of your video.
- Periodic contest update videos will be posted on Ron’s Trains N Things.
- If you have any questions regarding the rules or how to proceed with any aspect of the DDWC, please feel free to contact Ron. I am here to help you succeed in the DDWC2. Please submit you inquiries to Ron at email@example.com. Please include “DDWC2 Question” in the subject line.
- Thank you for entering the Dow & Dirty Freight Car Weathering Contest 2 and good luck.